Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I may be crazy but...

It's a possibility that I am certifiably insane. I am about to embark on one of the craziest adventures of my life. I am going to attempt to write a novel in a month. I have entered National Novel Writing Month. National Novel Writing Month, aka nanowrimo, is a charge to write 50,000 words during the month of November.

I've always said I want to be an author and I'm going to write a book. When I was 12, I hand wrote a 196 page book (yes I had big handwriting), but since then I have been upcapable of writing an entire novel.

I began one last summer and made it to 15,000 words but couldn't decide on an ending for the novel so the unfinished manuscript still sits on my computer hard drive waiting to see how it will end. This really disappoints all of my friends who I had let read the early manuscript and I have left hanging on who the murderer is going to be.

My downfall was letting people read it before I was finished. They could give me feedback and ideas and it really messed up the flow of my book and stunted my creativity. I’m not going to make that same mistake twice. No one – and I do mean no one will read my book or know what is going to happen until Nov. 30 at midnight when I write my 50,000th word (or more if I am feeling really creative next month).

I am going to try not to even talk about the storyline more than I have already. My book is entitled “The Quest for the Holy Diamond” and is sort of the story of my life and my desire to get engaged to my boyfriend. It’s not entirely autobiographical though. It is only based loosely on my story. The characters are not me and my boyfriend – despite how interesting we think we are, I doubt anyone else would enjoy reading about our love for watching movies.

I am excited; I am nervous; I am anxious to begin this journey. I have high hopes that my novel will be a bestseller but whether I sell 0 copies or a million copies I am going to be a success because I am going to write a novel in a month.

In the meantime, I’m going to be incredibly caffeinated and bitchy! Sorry for that.

2 comments:

Little Miss HD said...

Hey, thanks for your comment.

I've been reading about NaBloPoMo, and seeing as how tomorrow is November 1st, I think I'm going to participate. I could never write a novel, but perhaps a boring little post each day will motivate me to get my blog up and going.

good luck! I'll be back to see how you're doing.

Revee said...

Yes Ruben! I hope so. I am chugging right along.