Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Confrontation

Just as I had made the decision not to answer the door, his voice came booming through the wooden slab between us.

"Come on. Open up. I know you're in there. I see your car outside and I can hear the tv blaring."

I hadn't thought to mute it.

"Just open the door, Addy."

I conjured up enough nerve finally to open up the door and face him. It was the first time I had seen him since he had left me standing at the altar and it hurt just as much. It was all I could do to fight back the tears.

"What do you want?"

"I want my stuff back. You can't hold it prisoner."

"Did you really think that sending her to pick it up was the best way to do it? Do you know how much seeing her hurt? Are you really that much of an insensitive ass."

"Well, you always did have quite the mouth on you. It always did turn me on," he said. His cocky grin has infiltered its way onto his face and he was moving suspiciously close to me. Too close for comfort.

Usually it was that grin that sent me melting into his arms. But not this time. This time it just pissed me off.

"Why? Just answer me why?"

His smile disappeared. "I don't want to go there. Can't we just both agree that it's over and I come in and get my stuff and leave?"

"No, we can't. It's not over. Not for me. We were getting married and then you completely blindside me. On our wedding day. At the altar. In front of everyone. How could you? I think I deserve an explanation."

"I gave you one."

"No, you didn't. I'm sorry. I can't. I am in love with and having a baby with another woman is not an explanation. Not one that explains anything to me or helps me to understand how this happens."

"Just let me get my stuff." He tried to move by me and I slammed my arm out to block his path.

"NO. You're not getting by me until you explain."

1 comment:

Amber said...

So good!!! I really like where this is going!! =)