Thursday, November 06, 2008

Coming Clean

“I’m sorry you had to be here for that,” I told him.

“I’m not. That guy’s a creep. I can’t believe you were ever going to marry him.”

I shrugged. “I guess I have bad judgment in men. I think it’s a requirement for women to like the bad boys. I know I always have.”

“Well, I guess I better rough up my image a little,” he said as he moved in to kiss me. I stepped back and threw my arm out.

“Whoa.”

“I’m sorry,” he said as he ran a hand through his hair. “That was too soon, huh? A little weird?”
“Yea, you could say that. Ben, how much of the conversation with Brad did you really catch?”

“Enough.”

“So you know…”

“About your addiction? Your abusive father? Yea. I heard that.”

“And you still want to be here? Why?”
“Addy, you’re a great girl. I’ve liked you for a long time now. We all have our demons – some more than others. I’m not going to cut and run just because I know a little more about yours. Wait until you find out about mine and then we’ll see who’s running.”

I laughed. He made me feel more relaxed than I had for a long time now. I felt like a car was being lifted off my shoulders. But it didn’t take long for the worry to settle back in.

“These aren’t just demons, Brad. This is me. This is who I am. I’m an alcoholic. I have been since I was 14. I have problems. More problems than just a few demons. Being beat repeatedly does that to a girl.”

“Well, if you’re any indication, it also makes her strong and beautiful and caring and smart and sweet and…and the list goes on and on. You’re a great girl, Addy. Don’t you forget that,” Ben reached up and caressed my chin. My first instinct was to pull away but his touch was so soft that my body gave in and my melted into his touch.

No comments: