Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Work vs School: Which Trumps Which?

Seems I've had this debate over and over again in the last six months or so. Having just graduated from college in May, I entered what so many call "the real world". Unlike others my age, I did not fear the real world but instead welcomed it. School had never been my forte - it had come too easy to me. I spent very little time on any of my classes and yet graduated with honors. How, you might ask? Skill I say, skill! Oh and a whole lot of brains... No not to be too conceited..back on subject!

My fiance (that still sounds so weird) graduated from college in December and began his so-called career on Friday. He is still in the transition phase. Once again last night over drinks and basketball at a local bar, the subject of work versus school: which trumps which came up? So I'm going to do my best to capture the pros and cons of each and come to a well-educated decision. First things first, school!

SCHOOL (and by school I mean college):
Pros:
  • You only go to class usually about 12-18 hours per week depending on your course load.
  • Some days you don't even have class
  • Often when you do, it doesn't start until 9, 10, 11, 12 or if you're really lucky (or lazy), later!
  • You get Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break, summer break and the VERY VERY fun spring break (I should know I've done the Panama City thing).
  • If you want to skip class, there's nothing stopping you and in fact, if your university is big enough, no one will even know.
  • You can't be fired (but you can flunk out - I guess this would be a con).
  • Endless frat parties, trips to the party and raging keggers and no one looks at you funny when you show up.

Cons:

  • You don't get paid.
  • In fact, not only do you not get paid but you pay to go.
  • You don't always have weekends free or weeknights for that matter - they are often spent studying.
  • After several years of hard work, you can flunk out and have nothing to show for your time or money except a few credit hours without a degree.
  • Tests, tests and more tests.
  • Unless your parents are helping out, you're probably working to pay your way through or even if they are you're working for beer money.
  • At the end, there's an oh so large student loan bill with your name on it.

WORK

Pros:

  • Earned Time Off, Vacation or whatever they call it - If you don't feel like going, don't!
  • Benefits: Health Insurance, 401K, Dental, Life, whatever..the point is you're covered.
  • 8-5 with a one hour lunch break.
  • Weekends off.
  • Paycheck, paycheck, PAYCHECK!
  • All major and some not so major holidays off!
  • You don't have to think about/or do work on weeknights or weekends. Can we say FREE WEEKENDS??

Cons:

  • Monday through Friday 8-5 - it never fails.
  • If you're not productive, you can get canned.
  • Bosses and more bosses.
  • Taxes - social security, state tax, federal tax, can you take any more of my money?
  • Cubicle hell

Okay so let me tally up the results...math is not my strong suit so give me a few minutes....

....

....

School: 7 to 7 - they cancel each other out

Work: 7 to 5 - equaling 2 for the PROS side...Yay, work wins and I forgot to even mention money in your bank account. Yay!

I'm sure I missed some so you tell me: what are the pros and cons associated with school and work from your eyes?

1 comment:

Matt said...

But the longer you're in school, the more you'll have to work to pay off the loans...