Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Love: A Verb or a Noun?

I gave a friend some advice about her relationship the other day. I told her the common cliche that goes something like this: If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever. If it doesn't, it was never yours to begin with.

After I told her I go to thinking, does anyone ever come back? Think about it. It's a reference to a butterfly. Would the butterfly ever really come back to find you? I don't think so...I think love works much the same way.

Everyone throws around the world love. Oh I love you. I love this. I love it. Blah blah blah. But does anyone ever use it to mean anything? 50 percent of people get divorced. Many more break up. Yea, it hurts for awhile. But then you get over it and you're like oh I don't think I ever really loved them. But at the time it felt so real.

In the book "He's Just Not That Into You" Liz talks about how "I believe in love the verb not the noun." But is love ever truly more than a word? Is love a real thing or just something that we all cling to so that we have something to hope for? Is love kind of like the belief in God? You want to believe but there's really no evidence it exists. Love: a verb or a noun? And will the butterfly ever come back?

4 comments:

Revee said...

its good..esp if youre fresh off a breakup. it brings so many great things to light!

Revee said...

Thanks Jef. I hope you're right!

Anisa said...

so true that we think we love someone and we break up with them, and we're like NO WAY did i love them! but it does seem real at the time...

but real love is something i have found the word "love" doesn't even begin to describe. love is not only a word, but there must be action behind it.

like jef said, hope you find it soon!

Johnny Menace said...

verb