Thursday, August 23, 2007

I asked for it

Here it is: the final installment in my serial story. Leave me a comment if you think I should continue this story and help Addy find "The One". To be continued, maybe...

“So tell me, was it when I was walking down the aisle that you decided I just wasn’t pretty enough; wasn’t sweet enough; wasn’t whatever you needed enough or when was it?”

“No, Addy. Not at all.” He stood now and walked toward me slowly. He grabbed my wrists tenderly.

“It wasn’t like that. I saw you walk down the aisle – so beautiful, so innocent and full of love in your eyes and that’s when I knew. I knew I didn't deserve you. You deserved a guy who could appreciate you. Who realized how wonderful you were, perfect in every way. You deserved a guy who wouldn’t cheat on you, who wouldn’t break your heart, who wouldn’t ruin your life. And I knew, Addy. I knew I wasn’t that guy. Don’t you see? You were too good for me.”

I cried. I hadn’t meant to but I cried. Brad pulled me close and hugged me. He was the last person I wanted a hug from right now and the only person I needed one from. The story was far from perfect. In fact, it was downright awful but somehow it eased my pain. I still loved Brad. Nothing could stop that. I knew a part of me would probably always love Brad but the other part of me was glad. Glad that he didn’t marry me. Glad that he was able to walk away. Because I wasn't strong enough to.

I knew he wasn’t the one. I had always knew he wasn’t the one but I had wanted to marry him anyways because I wasn’t sure “The One” would ever find me. Would ever love me for who I am. Would ever fit so perfectly in my life as Brad had. I wasn’t sure “The One” was anything more than a myth. But here I was back at square one letting Mr. Wrong walk out of my life – not by choice – and starting over again. Waiting for the magic. Waiting for the love. Waiting for “The One.” And if they were all wrong and there was no such thing as “The One.” There was always me. And somehow that would have to be good enough.

5 comments:

Just Me said...

Great job on the short story. I liked it. I would like to read more, it was fun having a story given to me in pieces, waiting to see what happens next.

If you chose to keep the story going that would be fun, but if you don't you ended it beautifully.

Unknown said...

I agree with just me.

But I'm gonna be selfish and beg you to continue.

Revee said...

I think I just might continue...give me a couple days to piece together where I want this story to go now. :)

Thanks for reading!

Just Me said...

Or make it a chose your own adventures... do you remember those books! I loved reading them and trying to get the ending different.

Matt said...

if you don't continue this story, do we get a new serial story?