Tuesday, March 27, 2007

AI Oh My!

I have to comment on the craziness that is American Idol. If you're not watching it, you should be. I know a lot of people hate it and think it is the devil but I don't understand that thought process. The show helps people go on to live their dream and hooks them up with a killer recording contract. What is evil about that? Nothing in my book.

I hate to plug the site but there's a Web site called Vote For the Worst that picks the worst contestant each week and asks people to call in and vote for them. Apparently last week the site had 4 million hits. I think that does well to explain why Sanjaya is still in the competition despite his terrible performances week after week (he is currently the Vote For The Worst pick – I believe Taylor Hicks was last season but don't quote me on that).

I'm sorry but Sanjaya is terrible. TERRIBLE. When I watch him, I'm humiliated for him. It's to the point where I can't even figure out how he even made it past his first audition. His voice sounds like awful karaoke singing. I think he seems like a cute kid and a genuinely nice guy but this is a singing competition and he can't sing!

Granted I don't always vote for the best singer. I occasionally vote on looks too or personality or just my personal preference. In the first season I liked Kelly Clarkson (and still do). In Carrie's season I liked Carrie (and still do). Last season I loved Chris Daughtry (his CD rocks!) and Katharine McPhee. I wasn't a big fan of Taylor Hicks. So who am I digging and dialing for this season? Gina Glocksen. I've voted for her every week. She's not the best singer. I agree with that but I like her and I can't explain why. Maybe I'll change my mind but for now I'll keep voting. I also love Blake Lewis because he is different – he is not a cookie cutter singer. He has his own unique style.

Who are you voting for? Please tell me it's not Sanjaya…

1 comment:

Just Me said...

I just can't get into the reality tv shows. I probably could watch American Idol if it was just a talent competition, but I don't like it for the same reason I hate watching sports on tv -- the commintary. Now in what the 6 or 7th season, I think that the judges are just trying to stay in their charater. Simon was funny in the first few seasons but after that, ughh! Sorry I know you like this show, but like I said before I just can't get into it.