Monday, July 18, 2005

Engagement Nausea

Remember the Sex & the City episode where Aidan proposed to Carrie and she pukes? Not because she didn't love Aidan but because the thought of marriage scared the sh*t out of her. I am Carrie.

I went home for my friend's bachelorette party this weekend. On Saturday as we were getting ready to go out, my married friend and engaged friends exchanged their engagement rings to try on. Then they passed it to me to try on. Not even thinking about it, I tried it on. Thank god I was sitting because I started to shake. Then my stomach started to hurt. I took it off - fast. Then my other friend hands me hers. Thinking it's just a one time thing I try hers on. My stomach turns. I yank it off.

Now this is not the first time this has happened to me. One other time while just nonchalantly shopping for engagement rings (not because I was thinking about getting engaged but rather in order to get my parking validated) a salesperson pushed me into trying one on. Once again my hand began to shake and my stomach hurt. I rushed out of the store feeling as though I would hurl at any moment.

I am in commited relationship. I love my boyfriend very much and look forward very much to one day being married to him. We have even talked about being married without me freaking out or getting sick. I had no problem discussing it. I have no problem talking about being engaged. It's the sight of the sparkling diamond that gets me weak in the knees.

What is it about that shiny rock that make me want to rush to the nearest bathroom? Am I being overly dramatic or is there cause for concern when it comes to my engagement phobia? Does the glare of the diamond go straight to my head and put me in a comatose state or am I just scared? Am I the only girl out there who gets sick at the mere sight of an engagement ring?

5 comments:

Steph said...

I am right there with you sister. The sight of a ring doesn't make my stomach hurt but the thought of marriage right now makes me cringe. I am in no hurry to be whisked off to be married. That's what we have the rest of our lives for...

Steph said...

P.S. Where are the pics?!?!?!

Revee said...

I haven't had a chance to get them developed yet. It was a crazy weekend! I hope to get them up here before the end of the week though!

Just Me said...

OMG way too funny...but i can't even talk about it without freaking...let alone seeing a ring!

kcterrilynn said...

You're not the only one. It happens. According to my best friend, after the nausea comes the sweaty palms and pounding headache, and the feeling of'oh crap, what did I get myself into'. She says it passes, and since she's been married 8 years, I tend to believe her. :-)