Monday, July 18, 2005

I'm not five anymore...

This is my first summer living away from home. I am used to living away from home during the school year as I attend college but always in the past I went home to stay for the summer. This year I chose to stay at school instead of spending the summer bored out of my mind.

Even though I’m not living at home, I feel like I might as well be because of my mom’s constant ploys to get me home. It always seems like she plans some sort of event that I just “can’t miss.” A family meal, a holiday, a boating outing, a shopping trip, etc. etc. – the list goes on. It seems like it’s always something.

Now don’t get me wrong. I love my mom. I love my whole family. I love going home. I just don’t want to do it every freaking weekend. When you spend the week working and the weekend making the two-hour trek home to spend with family, it doesn’t leave you much time for yourself.

Not only does it not leave me much time for myself, it’s annoying. There’s only so much I can take. I live on my own. I’m not use to having to tell someone where I’m going or when or IF I’ll be home. My mom bombards me with these questions when I head towards the door. Where are you going? What are you doing there? Are you coming home? What time will you come home? And my favorite question: What is the plan? Mom, I told you the plan 500 times. You just don’t want to listen because you don’t like the plan.

Yesterday after a very trying weekend of questions like these and comments like “I’ll be back in a little bit..not that you care,” “You haven’t been home all weekend,” “You’re too busy for me,” we had it out during a trip to Wal-Mart. She crossed the line one too many times for me and I snapped. I yelled at her and used a word I am not proud of – it rhymes with sucking. She yelled at me, I yelled back. We refused to speak the rest of the day and I left home to go back to school. I was ticked.

It’s not unusual for my mom and me to have little tiffs like this one although the fallout doesn’t usually last too long – I called her when I got home and apologized, she apologized. I just really hate fighting with people especially my mom.

My friend sent me an email earlier in the week about a fight she got into with her mom after she pissed her off which got me thinking: Why are moms so good at pissing us off? What do they have to take some kind of class on the best way to piss their daughters off? Or is it just a skill that comes with birthing your first child? Why can’t they just leave well enough alone?

No comments: