Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Not Knowing's The Worse

Last night on Felicity (it's a t.v. show for those of you who don't know) Felicity was "late." She was afraid she might be pregnant but kept putting off taking the test afraid of what it might say. This got me thinking: why do us girls do that?

We know when our period is supposed to come and then when it's a day, two days, a week late, we freak out. Crazy thoughts start running through our head: oh my god I'm pregnant! How will I tell my parents? How will I tell my boyfriend? What am i going to do? How will I support it? We sit there freaking out contemplating all these choices we will have to make because we think we "might" be pregnant.

However, instead of doing what would be smart and going out, buying a pregnancy test, and taking it we instead sit there freaking out stressing that we're pregnant when all it takes is a little stick and a bathroom break to find out for sure. But do we do it? No, we're too scared because what if it is positive and all your worst fears are confirmed? Is it better to just think that you're pregnant?

It seems like such a stupid concept. Yes, it's very possible that stick might come back pink or with two lines or whatever shows up when it's positive and our worst fears are confirmed. THEN you can start freaking out. But what if it's negative. You're not pregnant. You can relax. No worries.

I have had several friends who have freaked out that they might be pregnant and sit there worrying about what they are going to do when what they should really be doing is running to the closest store, picking out a pregnancy test, and finding out the truth. Out of the 100s (okay that might be a bit of exaggeration) of times my friends (myself included) have worried they were pregnant it has always turned out to be a false alarm with us worrying ourselves over nothing. But we do it anyways.

So why is it that we'd rather sit there freaking out than find out for sure whether we are or aren't pregnant so we don't have to stress ourself out over nothing? Is it really better to worry and not know for sure then to have it confirmed that we are or aren't pregnant? I think I would rather know but then that's just me.

5 comments:

Revee said...

That's a great idea. I've been pretty lucky and haven't had many scares. Only one I think and I took one right away!

Johnny Menace said...

your female you love drama and love to stress out.

Revee said...

That we do. I'm a total drama queen.

Steph said...

Ok, so did you think you were prego last night or what?

Revee said...

No i didn't..not at all..maybe i should have made that clear because if my boyfriend reads that blog he might freak out. I am not nor did I think I was pregnant. Thank god!