Friday, July 29, 2005

It's Independence Day!

Independent. It’s something that I never thought I’d be. Throughout my life I have always been dependent on someone whether that be my parents, my sisters, my friends, or my boyfriends. I have never had any confidence in my ability to make it through the day on my own without any assistance from a friend or a boyfriend or my mom. I have relied on my dependence on others.

When I need to pay a bill, I call my mom. I don’t know how to do it. When I want to go shopping, I call a friend. I can’t go alone. When I want to hang out, I call my boyfriend. I don’t like to be by myself.

One of the aspects of my life I have always found myself dependent on was my boyfriend. I have always hated those girls who thought they constantly had to be with their boyfriend and couldn’t do anything without them but as time went on I found that I hated myself because I WAS one of those girls.

My friends would call to go out and I wouldn’t want to if my boyfriend was available to do something with me. Or if I was out with my friends all I could think about was getting home to my boyfriend. It was pathetic. I realized that. I just couldn’t help myself.

Lately I have been doing more and more with my friends and become less and less dependent on my boyfriend for my happiness. I have found that I can have a good time without him. Sometimes even a better time. I have found that my life doesn’t revolve around a man to make me happy. I can make myself happy.

In the past six months, I have attended more funerals that I have my entire life. One of a close friend, the other of an uncle. Seeing these people I used to know and love lying there in a casket cold and lifeless made me realize that life is too short to sit around and wait for someone or something. I might die tomorrow but I will die happy because at least I know I lived today.

So today, July 29, I am declaring VEEBA’S INDEPENDENCE DAY. The day when I realized that I, by myself, am more than enough to succeed and be happy in life. Anyone or anything else is just an added benefit! So today and every July 29 from here on out, I will raise a glass and make a toast to my independence.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I'll toast to that Veeba! Happy Independence Day to you! Hmph, now I want an independence day too! I will need to get one of those! Have a great weekend and have fun stories on Monday!

Melissa is... said...

Congratulations!!! Independence is a great thing - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Hoochie Mama said...

Happy Independence Day! All women need to come to this realization in their life time. I have recently done this myself, but I didn't declare a day. I think that is a wonderful idea!

I'll make sure I toast to you tonight! Have a wonderful day!

Blake said...

Congrats! I'm working on this myself. My reliance on my Dad for advice for every decision is a bit obsessive. I'm trying to ween myself.

I'll follow your example and let you know when I declare my own Independence day.

Blake