Thursday, July 21, 2005

Look at how Buff I am!

Why the hell are there mirrors posted all around the gym? I don't know about the rest of you but usually when I'm at the gym it's because I"m feeling especially chunky or gross or stressed and need to work it out. I don't want to look at my disgusting self in the process. I just gained 5 pounds don't make me LOOK at it.

Nonetheless, every gym I've ever been to has mirrors mounted everywhere so we can look at ourselves while we work out. Ah, aren't I pretty with my sweat stained armpits, matted hair, no makeup, and oversized gym clothes. I should really enter a beauty pageant...

I'm starting to think, however, that I might be in the minority about my pure hatred of the damn mirrors at the gym because everywhere I look people are using them. Not only are they using them, they are obsessed with them. We got our muscle builder in the corner lifting weights while glaring into the mirror as though he's trying to show the mirror the proper techinique for lifting that damn barbell. Wow, look at that muscle bulge. I'm glad he is because I sure don't give a damn about it. Then there's handfuls of other guys all around doing the exact same thing. Look at me look at me. I'm so buff!

Why the hell do you want to look at yourself when you're working out? There's nothing attractive about it. You don't look sexy with your veins pulsing out of your arm or gritting your teeth because you're lifting too much weight. There's nothing attractive about your sweaty armpits or nasty odor. As for my form, it looks like crap. I look like a total moron running on that treadmill. Hell, i don't even have time to look in the mirror because I have to concentrate on not falling off the stupid thing (and yes it has happened quite a few times).

So tell me..what's the deal with the mirrors at the gym? What's the affixation with watching yourself work out? Guys seem to be way worse than girls at this but do girls really do this too? Am I in the minority in wanting to smash every mirror in the place?

4 comments:

Revee said...

I know. I've taken some pretty nasty falls thanks to the treadmill. It's brutal.

FantasticAlice said...

I've noticed that too... it truely is a creepy obsession, like you can "see" your abs toning or your biceps getting stronger.

Revee said...

That's so true. Do they really think they are going to buff up right before their eyes? Oh my god..my bicep has grown like 2 inches. Holy cow!

Johnny Menace said...

the mirror is to also watch girls workout making them think you are concentrating on yourself.